Ballaghaderreen GAA Club
Ballaghaderreen GAA Club is almost as old as the Gaelic Athletic Association itself. A note in the Western People Newspaper states that the club met in 1886 for a practice match. This was the first meeting of the club since the previous year-1885. The game referred to was played in a field given by Mrs. Deane, a cousin of Mr. John Dillon.
The Sports field was situated next door to the Convent and was vested in (and still is) in local trustees. The Congested Districts Board gave it to Bishop John Lyster, Fr. J O’Connor Administrator and Mr. James Gordon, a local business man. It also included a cinder running track for cycling and many athletic meetings were held there.
In 1898 Ballaghaderreen was transferred from County Mayo to County Roscommon under the Local Government Act relating to Poor Laws Union. The Gaelic Athletic Club steadfastly retained it’s affiliation to Mayo County Board.
The new GAA pitch and clubhouse were developed and opened in 1980. The new stand was constructed in 1995.